The Art House Gallery is in Kelso, one of the Scottish Borders' most beautiful market towns. Sir Walter Scott once described the small town as "The most beautiful, if not the most romantic, villages in Scotland".
The Gallery is housed in a converted townhouse that dates back to 1608. The staircase is the original and features a beautiful willow handrail. When we purchased and began renovating the building in 2009 we had to hire 39 skips to remove the leftover rubbish! The restoration took ten months to complete and like all such projects was finished only a few hours before the opening show began.
Though the exterior of the building looks much like it did originally, inside it is a very different story. New plaster cornice gives the building a traditional look with a contemporary feel, dark oak flooring adds warmth, and state-of-the-art lighting highlights the art work and the Gallery itself perfectly.
The viewing and purchase of art should be a relaxed and memorable occasion and should not be rushed. For this reason we have installed seating in all of the galleries, enabling visitors to sit and view the artwork on show for as long as they wish. The lighting can also be tailored to suit various 'moods' and allow the viewer to imagine the piece as it would look in their own home.